Thursday, July 20, 2017

Time Goes By, but People are the Same




Recently I was looking through some old family photos that were taken almost 100 years ago.  I happened to stumble upon one photo which was taken in the early 1920’s.  It was taken more than 20 years before I was born.  It was a family photo of my grandparents and their children and grandchildren.  My grandfather and my grandmother each held one of their younger grandchildren in their laps with the other grandchildren standing around them.  In the back were my grandparent’s older children and their respective spouses.  There was my mom and dad, my aunt with her husband, my one married uncle and his wife and my one single, at the time, uncle.  Here they were, my grandparents with all their family surrounding them.   The photo was much like a similar photo that my family now takes, at least every six months.  In fact, the latest photo was taken just a few weeks ago. There I was with my wife, with each of holding one of our youngest grandchild.  Surrounding us were our other grandchildren.  Standing in the back was our married children with their respective spouses.  These two photos taken almost two hundred years apart show the meaning of family—and it never changes.  Time may pass, but we the people are the same.  The two photos are presented below.



Perhaps the difference is that we just don't dress up as much these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment